Prep: 15 mins l Bake time: 25-30 mins l Servings: 9
3 Tblspns butter, softened
3 Tblspns light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg white
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sweetened applesauce
1. Preheat overn to 350*.
2. Spray 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Beat butter and brown sugar with wooden spoon in medium bowl until well blended. Beat in the molasses and egg white.
4. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in small bowl; mix well.
5. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with applesauce, mixing well after each addition. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-30 mins. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cake cool completely in pan. Cut into squares.
7. Decorate cake squares with tube frostings, red hot cinnamon candies, or other small candies, if desired. Of serve undecorated cake squares with whipped cream. (We like vanilla or vanilla with toffee bits ice cream)