Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dr. Pepper cake

You can all faint now. Too bad this blog wasn't for snacks- I made some killer Chili Cheese squares for the Super Bowl.
I haven't made this one yet, but I think that I will next week- you can ask me then how it is. Don't worry, the caffeine all cooks out I'm told. HAHAHAHA..... I crack me up.



Cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup Dr. Pepper
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar

Frosting:
1 cup butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Dr. Pepper
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the cake: In a saucepan, heat the butter, Dr. Pepper and cocoa until boiling. Remove from the heat and let cool. In a mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla and eggs, mixing well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Combine all three mixtures until blended. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13x2" pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. Test by inserting a toothpick at center of cake; if the toothpick is free of crumbs, the cake is done. I, of course, knew this already, but I threw it in there for those of you that don't have my culinary skills. If you don't laugh, you didn't really read this recipe, now did you?
While the cake is baking (stay out of the DP....), prepare the frosting by combining the butter, cocoa and Dr. Pepper in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Whisk in the sugar and remove from heat. Cool slightly before spreading on the cakes, as described below.
When the cake is done, remove from the oven and pierce holes throughout the cake with a wooden skewer. Spread the frosting on the cake and let cool.
Chow down.
E

4 comments:

tawnya said...

Dude....that sounds good. "Dr. Pepper, good. Cake, good..."

ShazBraz said...

That's right..."Put your hands together...".

I guess I'll have to try and remember to buy some DP so I can make this. Hee hee! See? I can be funny too!

Sandra said...

You all three crack me up.
Hey, I cooked my roast for 12 hours in coke. And then I made quesadillas with it and pico de gaillo and guacamole to go with them. So would this be the perfect dessert for that meal?

ShazBraz said...

Man, Sandra! That sounds so good!