Prep time: 13 mins l Bake time: 45 mins l Serves: 10-12
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 2lb package souther-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Butter a 9x9 baking dish.
2. Combine cheese, sour cream, soupo, 1/2 cup melted butter, onion, salt and black pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Add potatoes to cheese mixture and mix well. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
4. Combine cornflakes and the remaining butter in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
5. Sprinkle cornflake mixture over the potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve hot.
Add 1 4 1/2 oz can of chopped green chiles to the cheese mixture.
Substitute 1 pound cooked sausage for the hash browns.
For an all-in-one dish, spread 2 cups croutons in the baking dish and beat 4 eggs into the cheese mixture before baking.
For a special touch, sprinkle a tablespoon of chives over the top either before or after baking.