My kids ask for this every time they come home. It's one of their favorite dishes regarless of the time of year. When I make a chicken dish, I always cook extra chicken so I have cooked chicken handy during the week to make something else.
Prep: 30 min l Bake time: 35 mins l Serves: 6
1/2 large onion
1 1/2 tsp butter
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pimiento (we don't like this so i don't use it)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
6 frozen biscuits, thawed (i either make my own or use canned)
1. Preheat ovet to 350*. Grease the bottom and sides of an 11x7 baking dish (i use a 9x13).
2. Chop the onion. Heat butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Stir in onion. Saute until tender. (sometimes i skip this step and just use the raw onion)
3. Combine onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk and piminento in a medium bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. Sprinkle baked layer with 3/4 cup of cheese. (i use all the cheese. we don't like the cheese on top of the biscuits). Arrange biscuits in single layer over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake until biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
If you've used a bit to much milk or the sauce is watery for whatever reason, the biscuits will take longer to be done. If I think this is the case, I cook the biscuits separately from the chicken mixture just to make the sure they aren't doughy.